Friday, December 21, 2012

The Wedding Gift




Don’t worry about the wicked    or envy those who do wrong.
For like grass, they soon fade away.
    Like spring flowers, they soon wither.
Trust in the Lord and do good.
    Then you will live safely in the land and prosper.

Take delight in the Lord,

    and he will give you your heart’s desires.
 Commit everything you do to the Lord.
    Trust him, and he will help you.
 He will make your innocence radiate like the dawn,
    and the justice of your cause will shine like the noonday sun.
 Be still in the presence of the Lord,
    and wait patiently for him to act.
Don’t worry about evil people who prosper
    or fret about their wicked schemes.

Psalm 37:1-7

Around this time last year, I received some of the most horrific news of my life.  I thought my life was over.  I truly had no idea what was happening and what God was up to but I knew this, I knew beyond any doubt, God had a plan.

This time last year had someone said that I would be married a year later; I would have laughed in their face.  In fact, the very place in which I find myself today is something that I would have never dreamed possible in my life.  The fairy tale I have experienced just does not happen to ordinary people like me.  You do not get your happily ever after ever!  Boy was I wrong.

I know there are those who do not believe in God.  For me, I cannot deny His existence as I scan through the many events of my life over the past 37 years.  There are things that have happened in my life that do not make sense. However, too many things have come to fruition that could only have come from His hand.

On December 1 of this year, God gave me a gift.  He gave me a gift beyond gifts.  He gave me my heart’s desire.  After many years of praying for specific things, He answered one of those prayers.  On December 1, 2012, I married my best friend.  I said I do without a shred of doubt.  I said I do with great confidence of knowing that God is in control and works all things for His glory and in His time.  I said I do knowing that God was blessing me with an amazing gift.

The night Of December 1, after saying goodbye to family and friends, my husband and I began our journey together as husband and wife.  As we reached our room, my sweet husband sat on the edge of the bed and handed me a gift.  As I sat beside him, I took two calendars from his hands. (One for my wall and the other for my purse)  At first, I was curious as to the purpose of these calendars but as I opened them up, I found something that truly melted my heart and confirmed that God truly blessed me with what my heart had longed for so many years.  Written on each day were scripture references.  My husband began explaining that he had spent some time putting together passages that he would spend the next year praying over me.  He explained that there was no rhyme or reason to how the passages were picked but that he had prayed and by God’s sovereign hand, they were selected for those particular days.  My heart overfilled with tremendous love for the man sitting beside me but more importantly, I was overwhelmed by God’s love and grace as the very gift of my husband is evidence of God’s love for me.

God has worked miracles in my life over the past year.  He has provided unbelievable resources to help me fight through the evil battle that has been taking place around me.  He has removed people who needed to be removed and replaced them with people who have come along side of me to help pray and fight for what is right.  It has been a remarkable journey.  God has given me a year to heal from years of abuse and to prepare myself spiritually and mentally for the continuing journey ahead.  I may have had no idea that at this time this year I would be married but God knew and He set into motion a plan last year that would allow my husband and I to form a solid relationship on Him.  God knew I needed a break.  He knew I needed healing.  He knew I needed rest.  He knew I needed some strong evidence of His presence in my life. He knew all these things because He knows everything about me and He provided just what I needed.  My battle is not over but God is preparing the way for the end.  I know that whatever the end may be that God is faithful and that His plan is perfect.  Whatever the outcome, I can not only say with great confidence that God IS in control, He DOES makes all things new, He DOES make all things right but that He accomplishes ALL these things in HIS perfect time!

No comments:

Post a Comment